The Cookie Dough Gang

I was reading through some brainstorming I had done before the challenge started and when my eyes landed on The Cookie Dough Gang I smiled. 

So here it is. I hope it makes you smile too.

When I was growing up I spent most of the summer with my maternal grandparents. For me they were magical days. They lived across the city from us in a large bungalow situated across from a large park and best of all, had a swimming pool in the backyard. 

Most of the time it was just me and my younger sister but sometimes our cousins came to stay over as well. The four of us would spend hours outside both in and out of the pool and on rainy days would sneak downstairs to watch T.V. (our screen time was extremely limited), read books, or play cards for hours. 

The one thing we all felt we lacked was access to fun food. Grandma was a stickler for healthy food. Snacks mainly consisted of carrot and celery sticks and apple slices. If we complained then of course we couldn't really be hungry. 

But then there were the days that Grandma decided to bake cookies. Specifically refrigerator cookies. 

I remember taking out all of the ingredients, measuring, mixing, and then rolling the dough into long perfectly shaped cylinders that she would wrap in wax paper and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.

For the four of us the waiting was torture. Thirty minutes felt like hours. 

Then, one day, we hatched a plan. We would grab a roll of cookie dough, just one, from the fridge and lock ourselves in the bathroom and devour it. We knew this was risky and that there would likely be consequences but we decided to throw caution to the wind and follow through with our plan. We thought we were so clever. 

I can't remember who grabbed the cookie dough or but I do remember hoofing it down what seemed like an interminable hall from the kitchen to the bathroom, slamming the door, and quickly locking it behind us. We were giggling. We had done it! We unwrapped our prize and started to share it around. 

Then we heard footsteps, grandma's not so happy voice and a knock on the door. "What are you doing in there? Come out this minute!" 

Funny how I can't remember what happened next. I know we came out of the bathroom, that there must have been some reparations made and that Grandma would have been none too pleased with us. 

What I do remember is the fun I had with my sister and my cousins and the excitement of breaking the rules, just a little bit. 

What stories make you smile?



Comments

  1. Sorry, I thought I commented on this a long time ago! sometimes I think i forget to hit the final button. Anyway, as a mom who hid cookie dough in th e fridge so I could eat it by the spoonful in secret until I finally baked what was left into cookies for my family, I appreciate your cookie dough gang confession!
    Smart to use italics for the memory and non-italics at beginning and end to show your thinking from where you are now. A good story well told. The love and safety shine through, as you weren’t afraid to get up to a little mischief.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Story

Date Shake