Wonderopolis Wednesday

Today's writing is inspired by a Two Writing Teachers post by Tara Smith that I came across today called Using the Writer's Notebooks to Grow Ideas: Diving into Information Writing

I think Wonderopolis Wednesdays are a great idea. I thought it would be fun to try it out. It's actually not as easy as I thought it would be. 

Tara compared ideas or wonderings to seeds. She stated that some of these seeds may take root and transform into something else.  

Here are some of my initial thoughts. 

What do I wonder about science, geography and the way things work?

I wonder about...

  • Joshua trees
  • desert landscape formation and vegetation
  • mutualistic relationship between animals
  • jellyfish
  • meteors
I wonder how...
  • Jellyfish Lake was formed
  • people discovered the healing properties of different plants
  • changes in climate will affect the geographical area I live in

I wonder why...
  • some viruses are more harmful than others
  • insects are so resilient

Comments

  1. I love this format! Perfect for inquisitive minds. I have never seen in person a Joshua tree - I wonder how far/ where you can find them. Heidi (Wordsmithing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We visited Joshua Tree National Park recently and we were told that it is the only place where they can live. People have tried to plant them elsewhere however they do not survive. It made me want to read more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for spreading this idea of Wonderopolis Wednesday,I will have to try it. When I was a science teacher to young children, I tried to instill that idea that “a good question is golden”, and better than thinking we know it all! Wonderings certainly are seeds to scientists. And what about the rest of us? Your list makes me see that a habit of wondering creates more awareness of our world. And make us break down barriers of types of knowledge- like geography, biology, sociology…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize I sometimes need to think a bit more like a scientist.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Story

Date Shake