Morning Practice - Part 2

 Another morning

5 am

All ready, time to go.


Step outside 

Warmer air than yesterday

With a breeze rolling in.


Down to the lake in record time

I settle in to wait

Then, a message...


"You are coach boating

Come wait outside

By the benches

FAST!"


Quick! Move!

Gather warm clothes

Run down to the dock

Careful not to stumble.


Made it.


Bundle up

Layers of clothing, fuzzy socks, fleece gloves.

Ready and waiting.


The team comes down

Boats perched on their shoulders

Soon to roll gently into the water.


Swiftly they launch

Into the darkness

Bow lights blinking.


Away I go

A grateful guest

Watching from the coach boat.


Blades dip, into the water

Rowers ready to move as one

Coxswains guiding their crews.


Start at the catch

Lean forward

Arms extended.


Powerful legs ready

To move the boat.


Arms pull

To the finish.


Ready to release then

Return to the catch.


Together,

The boats travel.


Across the lake

And back again

Working hard against the wind.


Elegant,

Fluid,

Strong.




Comments

  1. Wow. Like yesterday’s, I really feel that early morning, out in the weather time. But here the pace picks up as you rush to answer the call. Two of my children rowed in high school, but you are more involved and more knowledgeable that I am. But I totally understand the beauty and strength you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to row last year. My daughter was coaching learn to row and I signed up. She is now a varsity athlete and I just had a few days to visit. Watching these skilled athletes in action is mesmerizing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering a Story

Trying My Hand at The Sunday Seven

Wonderopolis Wednesday